The Central Auction Mart was a centre for quality finishing cattle right up until its closure in 1989, when operations were centralised at Thainstone Agricultural Centre, Inverurie. Aberdeen Angus were the dominant breed there for much of the 19th and 20th centuries, and a number of pedigree herds flourished in the area. Notably the herd at Hatton Castle, founded in 1877 and dispersed in 1993.
Today there are a number of new herds, some with connections to the earliest days of the breed. Wrae Aberdeen Angus, on higher pasture 4 miles out of Turriff on the Banff road, was originally founded by John Gaul in 1952, and re-established by his great grandson Alexander Norrie 1996. They have been very successful, with numerous titles to their credit.
Hamish and Margaret Sclater started their Devron herd in 1995, undoubtedly with input from Hamish’s father, Orcadian Bill Slater, who was a huge enthusiast for the breed. Their farm sits in a prominent position overlooking The Deveron Valley, where the cattle graze well tended pastures. This obviously suits them, as the herd has had enormous success over the past 20 years.
Visit Website Email Us Call 01888 562800 / 07736 546518
Find us at: